History is a study of past and present events. As one turns back the pages of time to review the history of George Washington Carver High School, he sees a beautiful edifice a top on Eighth Street and Illges Road. The history of George Washington Carver High is, however, much deeper than this mental picture. One of the inspiring parts of the George Washington Carver High history is that it was named for one of the most remarkable American server to have lived. George Washington Carver was a man who hungered for knowledge and devoted himself unselfishly to the cause of enhancing man’s life and work. He was born during the Civil War which ended legal slavery in the United States. The school first opened as a junior high school in the fall of 1954. This modern physical plant erected to meet the individual needs of the students in the Carver Heights area and in outlying communities. Mr. S. P. Charleston became principal of a staff of fifteen teachers and a student body of three hundred and seventy-nine students. The school had only two grades, seven and eight.
During the first year, the school was accredited by Georgia Accrediting Association. According to the original plan, that the school will be expanded to accommodate the needs of the students, the ninth grade was added in September, 1956. After the ninth grade was added, the first year of high school was accredited by the Southern Association of Secondary Schools. A grade was added each year until the school became a high school. In 1960, The George Washington Carver High School’s hymn, chant and creed were written by Mrs. Helen Burnett, a former Media Specialist at George Washington Carver High School. Mr. William Monroe wrote the music for the hymn and the chant. Mr. Monroe is retired band director from George Washington Carver High School.
As the years passed, George Washington Carver High School continued to grow and develop, the faculty and student body increased in number and the total program of the school expanded. Special projects of 1957-58 included one-act plays, science, mathematics, and metal arts expanded. June 7, 1963 marked the first graduation exercise, which was held at the Municipal Auditorium. Sixteen of the one-hundred and thirty-nine graduates ranked above the fiftieth percentile on the Iowa Tests of Educational Development. Wilma Griffin and Clevie Gladney were valedictorian and salutatorian respectively. Senator Leroy Johnson of the Thirty-eighth District Fulton County, delivered the baccalaureate address. The first annual, The Tigonian, was published by the class of 1963. By 1964, George Washington Carver High School opened her doors to more than fourteen hundred students and approximately sixty teachers.
From 1970 to the spring of 1992, Mr. Harry L. Vernon was the principal. He continued where Mr. Charleston left off in leading the school through the change from an all Black Student Body to a racially integrated one. George Washington Carver High School entered a new era of growth, and development-renaissance, under the leadership of Dr. Andrew Coleman, III from August 1992 to June 1994. Dr. James Patrick was at the helm of George Washington Carver High School from June 1994 followed by, Mr. Cleophus Hope, and Mr. Joe Saulsbury. Mr. Christopher Lindsey is presently performing as principal of George Washington Carver High School. He has held this position since August 2005.