Parent's CornerParent and Family Engagement
FOX ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Parent and Family Engagement Policy
What is Title I?
Fox Elementary is identified as a Title I school as part of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). Title I is a federal grant that was designed to ensure that all children receive a high quality education and reach grade level proficiency. Title I programs must be based on effective means of improving student achievement and include strategies to support parent and family engagement.
SCHOOL PLAN FOR SHARED STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT
What is it?
This is a plan that describes how Fox Elementary will provide opportunities to improve parent engagement to support student learning. Fox Elementary values the contributions and engagements of parents to establish an equal partnership for the common goal of improving student achievement. This plan describes the different ways Fox Elementary will support parent engagement and how parents can help plan and participate in activities and events to promote student learning at school and at home.
How is it revised?
Fox Elementary welcomes parent input and comments regarding the Parent and Family Engagement Policy. The policy is posted on our school website for parents to view and submit feedback throughout the year. All parent feedback received during the year will be used to revise the policy for the next school year. Fox Elementary also distributes a Title I Annual Survey to ask parents suggestions on the Parent and Family Engagement Policy and the use of funds for parent and family engagement.
Who is it for?
All students participating in the Title I, Part A program, and their families, are encouraged and invited to fully participate in the opportunities described in this policy. Fox Elementary will provide full opportunity for the participation of parents with limited English, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children.
Where is it available?
At the beginning of the year, the policy is included in the student handbook that is given to all students. Fox Elementary will make copies available to parents prior to the Title I Annual Parent meeting. Parents can also receive a copy of the policy from the Parent Resource Room and on the school’s website. For all students who reside in residential facilities served by Muscogee School District, parent and family engagement correspondence and activities information will be mailed to each facility where students reside.
District’s Goal for Student Achievement
The Muscogee County School District will implement evidence-based Tier 1 instruction, a Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS), leadership development, and a culture of kindness.
School Climate Goal: 100% of Fox Elementary teachers will participate in and implement strategies for verbal de-escalation and trauma informed learning and refine effective implementation of PBIS Classroom Systems by May, 2021.
Instructional Goal: 100% of Fox Elementary teachers will implement ways to help students organize, interact, and process content in all areas by May of 2021.
School Measures to Provide Required Assistance
Fox Elementary will take the following measures to promote and support parents in the following ways:
- Ensure that all information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities is published in both English and Spanish, posted on the school website, and included in the monthly school newsletter for all parents.
- Provide staff training on how to improve communication with parents and ideas to increase family engagement. Staff will also share best practices during regularly scheduled faculty meetings.
- Partner with Head Start, Pre-K programs, and daycares to share information about parent engagement activities that will help prepare parents and children for kindergarten.
- Share information in the school newsletter for parents to understand the school’s academic standards and assessments as well as the ways parents can monitor their child’s progress and work with educators.
- Communicate with all families and the community on a regular basis regarding schoolwide events and activities, through phone messages, flyers, and website.
- Maintain a Parent Resource Room to allow parents opportunities to check-out educational materials to use at-home with their child.
- Provide necessary materials and handouts for parents at conferences, meetings, and activities to help parents work with their child to improve their child’s achievement.
- Use our Partners in Education and School-Community Team to improve awareness of the activities and events listed in the school Parental and Family Engagement Policy.
- Offer literacy and computer classes for parents to help further enhance their various educational levels.
- Collect feedback from parents at all events, place input card around the building and post suggestion form on the school website in order to respond to parents’ requests for additional support for parental involvement activities.
Parent Resource Room
Parental involvement is not an occasional event, but rather an on-going process. The Parent Resource Room is available for parents to check-out educational resources to use at-home with their child. Computers are also available for parents to explore the Parent Portal, educational resources. Our Parent Resource Room will be open Monday and Tuesdays from 9:00am-1:00pm Please contact Felecia Kelly, Parent Liaison at (706) 748-2723 for additional information and assistance.
Fox Elementary believes that parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular two-way and meaningful communication involving student achievement. Fox Elementary believes:
- That parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning.
- That parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education.
- That parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child.
As part of the Parent and Family Engagement Policy, Fox Elementary School and our families will develop a School-Parent Compact. School-Parent Compact for Achievement is an agreement that parents, teachers, and students will develop that explains how parents and teachers will work together to make sure all our students reach grade-level standards. The compacts will be reviewed and updated annually based on feedback from parents, students, and teachers. Copies of the School-Parent Compact are kept in the Parent Resource Room (room 404) and placed on the school’s website.
Let’s Get Together!
Fox Elementary will host the following family engagement activities to build parent capacity and increase student achievement. All parents will be invited in multiple ways to include flyers, advertisement boards, Connect Ed messaging system, newsletters, Peachjar electronic delivery system, face to face contact, and the school’s website.
Open House – September 2020
Meet your child’s teacher and our friendly and helpful school staff for the year.
Title I Annual Parent Meeting – September 2020
Information will be shared about our Title I program, including our Parent and Family Engagement Policy, the Schoolwide plan, the School-Parent Compact, and parents’ requirements.
Academic Learning Workshop December 2020
Catch up on the latest initiatives to support your child’s learning.
State Assessment workshop for Parents – March 2021
Learn the expectations of the Georgia Milestones State Assessment
Transitioning from Pre-Kindergarten to Kindergarten – May 2021
Transitioning from Elementary to Middle School – April/May 2021