Mass Communications Magnet Academy
Magnet applications are available online starting October 15, 2018 and will end on January 18, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Please go to: to complete one application for all Muscogee County School District magnet programs, and select the Shaw High School Mass Communications Academy.
Taylor Kinkade, Audio/Video Technology & Film Teacher
Mass Communications Academy Mission Statement:
The Mission of the Mass Communications Academy is to develop in young people the critical skills necessary to succeed in the world of mass communications and mass media through extensive coursework in journalism, video production, web design and print media with an emphasis on students continuing to post-secondary education/training.
Brief overview of the program:
The required classes in this program are: Introduction to Digital Technology – This class gives students a better understanding of computers, the computer industry, and jobs relating to this area. Topics include: basic programming concepts, networking concepts, web development concepts, and general computing fundamentals. Digital Design – Students will create and learn digital media applications using elements of text, graphics, animation, sound, video and digital imaging for various formats.
Web Design – This class includes: web development, digital image editing, video conversion and formats, plus exposure to app development. Audio/Video Technology & Film I – This class includes: fundamentals of videography, basic video technology, and other fundamentals required for the industry. Audio/Video Technology & Film II – This continues from level the level one class and adds emphasis on news production, video story-telling, and advanced editing.
Audio/Video Technology & Film III – Advanced studies in long-format productions, film, special effects, and specialty cameras.
Students attending Shaw High School as a magnet student must be in magnet classes until they have completed the magnet program of study listed above. If students do not finish the required courses due to lack of time or other circumstances they will not be considered a magnet completer.
Magnet Application Timeline:
1. The online applications will be open on October 15, 2018 and will close on January 18, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
2. The Mass Communications Academy Open House will be held Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Magnet Writing Test:
Students will be to submit a writing sample with their application. The writing prompt is as follows:
Imagine you have been accepted into the Shaw High School Mass Communications Academy. This event is the top story in tonight’s newscast. Write the news story, answering the Big 6 (who, what, when, where, why, how), paying attention to proper grammar and spelling. The final paper should be at least 250 words. Please upload the word document to the online magnet application.
Magnet Enrollment Guidelines
1. An approved is needed for every new magnet student. This applies to those who reside in the attendance zone and those coming from out of zone.
2. Each school will send magnet acceptance letters throughout the recruitment time period with final letters being E-mailed no later than February 15, 2019.
3. This program is to prepare students to move on to post-secondary education. A contract between the parents, students, and Shaw High School help ensure an understanding about what is expected while attending this academy. If approved, parents will fill out official transfer forms at the school and transportation forms if required.
· Volunteering shows college admissions boards that you have organizational, leadership, and teamwork skills
· A dedicated volunteer who wants to continue working for their cause in college is definitely a desirable college candidate
· Volunteering teaches important life skills
· Being a volunteer is great preparation for a future career (and looks good on a resume)
· Volunteering allows high school students to give back to society
· High School students take with them important values as they emerge as adults