An Opportunity for You…
As a math, science, and technology magnet, Arnold Magnet Academy seeks students with a high interest in math, science, and technology. More importantly, AMA seeks students with a desire to achieve and go beyond the limits of the regular traditional classroom setting. For those students, Arnold Magnet Academy offers the opportunity to go beyond the basics and participate in a curriculum that will provide them with hands – on, integrated experiences. If you are accepted into our magnet program, you will be provided with the opportunity to acquire the skills and the confidence to enter ANY high school program. You will have the opportunity to experience an education provided by a dedicated and creative faculty committed to an innovative and technologically advanced curriculum backed by the “Arnold Tradition of Excellence.”
All Magnet Students are required to do Social Studies (6th grade, 8th grade) and Science Fair (7th grade, 8th grade) Projects.
Information available here.
Social Studies and Science Fair Presentation (2013)
Science Fair Guide
Arnold is very actively involved with our community both at the school and in our city. Magnet students are required to fulfill community service hours. At least 5 hours per year for 6th grade students, 8 hours per for 7th grade students, and 10 hours per year for 8th grade students. Students will complete community service on their own time.
Some places Arnold works closely with are:
- House of Heroes
- Easter Seals of West Georgia
- Help the Hooch
- Keep Columbus Beautiful
- Our House of Columbus
- Santa’s Castle
- Ronald McDonald House of West Georgia (parent supervision required)
- Fall Festivals and Spring Flings with various elementary schools in MCSD
- Habitat for Humanity (must be at least 14 years of age)
Magnet students will turn in their hours to their Social Studies Teachers. It will be counted as a Social Studies/Civics grade during the 3rd nine weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does my child apply for the magnet program? All students interested in being in our magnet MUST APPLY and TEST. The magnet application can be found by clicking here.
- What factors into my child getting into the magnet program? Your child will be scored on the following items and all of them together will determine whether or not your child will be accepted into the magnet program for the following school year:
- Grade point average from last school year and 1st semester of this school year. (we need the entire report card not just year end averages please)
- Performance on Basic Skills Math Test (percent correct out of 100)
- Performance on a Writing Sample done at the time of testing
- GMAS performance
- Teacher Recommendation Rubric returned by teacher directly to Arnold – this is provided by us directly to the prospective magnet student’s home teacher.
- Currently attend a magnet program
- Currently reside in our attendance zone
- State identified gifted
- How and when will I know if my child has been accepted into the magnet program? MCSD will be sending an email on February 17th regarding the student’s application status.
Please note that if a student is dismissed or withdraws from the magnet program, the student will be reassigned to their home school. Hardship transfers will not be granted to allow students to remain at Arnold after removal from the magnet program. Only students whose home school is Arnold will remain at Arnold. This is part of the MCSD Board Policy.
Mr. Kevin Johnson can be reached by phone at 706-748-2436 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org Click here for the PowerPoint I used when I visited your school.