Student Learning Device Program
OTHER LINKS THAT ARE USEFUL
The Muscogee County School District (MCSD) is committed to inspiring and equipping all students and teachers to achieve unlimited potential. MCSD will be using Personalized Learning as a vehicle through which high quality instruction is delivered while seeking to continually raise exceptions, innovate, and amplify student achievement. The Student Learning Device Program is designed to empower this commitment by providing innovative technology resources and support for the Personalized Learning initiative.
As an empowering component of MCSD’s Personalized Learning initiative, students will receive access to a Chromebook, Google’s G Suite for Education, Canvas, and other digital learning platforms.
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a small, basic laptop that runs Google’s Chrome OS and needs an internet connection to function. It is easy to use, fast and by comparison, more budget-friendly than other device counterparts.
What is G Suite for Education?
G Suite for Education, formally known as Google Apps, incorporates apps such as — Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Calendar, and more — but designed with new intelligent features that make work easier and bring teachers and students together. Because MCSD believes that when students and teachers work together and have collaborative tools for their classroom, amazing personalized learning happens.
What is Canvas?
It is a Learning Management System (LMS) that simplifies teaching and learning by connecting most of the digital tools educators use in one, easy, accessible place.
Canvas LMS Video https://youtu.be/9paOHz5CSfU
Why did MCSD Choose the Chromebook as a tool for Personalized Learning?
- They are easy-to-use
- Chromebooks are great for students because they’re easy to carry, durable and have a long-lasting battery life. They are also quick to power up and teachers will not have to waste precious teaching time waiting for them to switch on, or worse install updates. If they break, it is very easy to get a student started on a new one, they will simply have to login to their account.
- Personalized learning & cloud storage
- With, “G suite for Education,” each student has their own user account, with their unique settings, apps and homework. If they save their work to the cloud, they can access it from any device.
- They promote student collaboration
- Apps in the G suite for Education like Google Docs and Google Slides enable students to collaborate on documents and projects in real-time. These collaboration and teamwork skills are essential for the future workplace and help prepare students to succeed in tomorrow’s jobs. Whether in the library, in class, or at home, they’ll be able to participate in group work on their projects.
- A range of educational apps
- The G Suite for Education is free and offers apps that enable collaboration, communication and productive teaching. Chromebooks also have support for Android apps and there is a wide variety available for educators to use from learning tools to teaching aids.
- Chromebooks are cost-effective and easier to support
- By comparison, Google G Suite is the number one educational productivity tool used most frequently in U.S. classrooms. Chromebooks are more budget friendly than other educational devices and easier to support and maintain.
Our Mission & Vision
Our mission is to inspire and equip all students to achieve unlimited potential.
The MCSD is a beacon of educational excellence where all are known, valued, and inspired.
Muscogee County School District
2960 Macon Road | Columbus, GA 31906