Language Development is intended for students to become more internationally-minded and marketable through the exploration of a world language and culture. All of the relevant materials you need to complete the Language Development Portfolio should be found here.
Some independent learning resources that you can use for language learning are:
- Duolingo (app for your phone)
- Mango (program available through the Chattahoochee Valley Public Library)
- Rosetta Stone (immersive program that costs a good bit of $, but is very effective)
- Collaboration with a language teacher to independently study content for their class
- Taking a DP course and working with your teacher to explore units outside of class
Other options include:
- Taking a non-DP language course (Japanese is offered at HHS)
- Taking a DP course, but not using it as one of the two required DP courses for the Career Certificate
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT IS KEEPING UP WITH EVIDENCE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND REFLECTING ON IT!
- Language Development Timeline & Supervisor Agreement May 2019
- Language Development Timeline & Supervisor Form Class of 2020
- Self-Assessment Forms
- Language Development Guidance
- Language Development Defense Form
These forms provide a beginning and ending place for your Language Development journey. Through them you should evaluate where you are at the beginning of the process, help you set goals for what you want to accomplish, a way to document when you meet with your supervisor and note where you are at that moment in time, and an evaluation of where you are at the end of the process.
This document is helpful in understanding some of the things you can do along the way to try to meet some of your goals. It also clarifies the four areas in which you are supposed to set and meet goals.
This form will be used to evaluate your Language Development Portfolio. If it is not satisfactory, you will not be eligible for the Career-Related Certificate. Use this form to check your progress and add items to your binder.