An Opportunity for You…
As a math, science, and technology magnet, Arnold Magnet Academy seeks students with a high interest in math, science, and technology. More importantly, AMA seeks students with a desire to achieve and go beyond the limits of the regular traditional classroom setting. For those students, Arnold Magnet Academy offers the opportunity to go beyond the basics and participate in a curriculum that will provide them with hands – on, integrated experiences. If you are accepted into our magnet program, you will be provided with the opportunity to acquire the skills and the confidence to enter ANY high school program. You will have the opportunity to experience an education provided by a dedicated and creative faculty committed to an innovative and technologically advanced curriculum backed by the “Arnold Tradition of Excellence.”
All Magnet Students are required to do Social Studies (6th grade, 8th grade) and Science Fair (7th grade, 8th grade) Projects.
Information available here.
Social Studies and Science Fair Presentation (2013)
Science Fair Guide
Arnold is very actively involved with our community both at the school and in our city. Magnet students are required to fulfill at least 5 hours per year of community service on their own time. Proof of completion is required through pictures and a formal letter on letterhead stating the student’s name, what they did and when.
Some places Arnold works closely with are:
- House of Heroes
- Easter Seals of West Georgia
- Help the Hooch
- Keep Columbus Beautiful
- Our House of Columbus
- Santa’s Castle
- Ronald McDonald House of West Georgia (parent supervision required)
- Fall Festivals and Spring Flings with various elementary schools in MCSD
- Habitat for Humanity (must be at least 14 years of age)
Magnet students will turn in their hours to their Social Studies Teachers. It will be counted as a Social Studies/Civics grade during the 3rd nine weeks.
How does my child apply for the magnet program?
All students interested in being in our magnet MUST APPLY and TEST.
What factors into my child getting into the magnet program?
Your child will be scored on the following items and all of them together will determine whether or not your child will be accepted into the magnet program for the following school year:
- Grade point average from last school year and 1st semester of this school year. (we need the entire report card not just year end averages please)
- Performance on Basic Skills Math Test (percent correct out of 100)
- Performance on Basic Skills Science Test (percent correct out of 100)
- Performance on a Writing Sample done at the time of testing
- CRCT standardized test scores from the Spring administration
(rising 7th and 8th grade students would provide us with the most recent standardized test scores)
- Teacher Recommendation Rubric returned by teacher directly to Arnold – this is provided by us directly to the prospective magnet student’s home teacher.
- Currently attend a magnet program
- Currently reside in our attendance zone
- Have siblings that have been in our program
- State identified gifted
How and when will I know if my child has been accepted into the magnet program?
MCSD will be sending out assignment letters in mid – April and each school will be given a list of students assigned to their school. This is one of the components we must have as part of our students are from within our attendance zone. This also allows the Magnet Committee to insure they have all the information needed and scored to have a quality group of students.
Please note that if a student is dismissed or withdraws from the magnet program, the student will be reassigned to their home school. Hardship transfers will not be granted to allow students to remain at Arnold after removal from the magnet program. Only students whose home school is Arnold will remain at Arnold. This is part of the MCSD Board Policy.